News Feed › Forums › Fruit and Nuts › Preferred soil prep protocols for starting new fruit tree row? › Reply To: Preferred soil prep protocols for starting new fruit tree row?
John KempfMemberDecember 20, 2022 at 3:51 pm1001005200
As always, the answers depend on your context and goals.
When we work with growers to establish commercial orchards, the outline often looks something like this:
1. 1-3 years of diverse cover crops, incorporated or grazed with livestock.
2. Deep ripping in the tree row if warranted to remove compaction.
3. If appropriate, broadcasting amendments, tilling soil, and shaping into a mound.
4. Planting fruit trees
5. Mulching mound with chips, mulch, etc
6. Planting perennial cover crop between tree rows.