News Feed › Forums › Regenerative Agriculture › Biochar Production & Application › Reply To: Biochar Production & Application
Aaron BurkholderMemberFebruary 10, 2023 at 1:57 pm00129
Since I’m not able to edit my original post, I’m pasting the updated post here in its entirety. You may reply to this post.
I’m considering adding biochar to my vegetable production program. Skimming across the forums, it seems that we take it for granted that most readers know about biochar to some degree, yet there doesn’t seem to be much material dedicated specifically to biochar aside from several posts regarding specific biochemical properties of biochar. I’m interested in learning of your experiences with biochar. How many of you integrate biochar into your program? If you do, I would love to hear from you. Below are some questions to spark conversation.
1) Do you produce it yourself? If so, how? Or do you purchase it? If so, where? Local producers/dealers or regional/national distributors?
2) How do you like to integrate and apply biochar in your operation: with composts, mulches, etc? Usually, I hear of growers integrating biochar applications as part of another application such as compost. Does anyone apply biochar as an amendment by itself?
3) What are your objectives in applying biochar? Carbon sink, “biological” amendment, etc?
4) Do you consider biochar a minor or major tool in your program?
5) Any thoughts on the proposed prep and application in different scenarios, i.e. intensive production such as vegetables, row cropping, or pastures?
6) Do you have any stories of success or failure that can be attributed largely to the application of biochar?
7) While there is a growing body of literature on biochar, is there any research or lay publication that you would recommend for the rest of us? Links would be helpful.